A car gifted by Adolf Hitler to King Tribhuwan lies neglected in a garage at the Thapathali Campus. The 1939 Daimler Benz was given to King Tribhuwan in 1940 and it came to called the "Tribhuwan car" as he used to ride around in it. The car does not have a hood anymore and its seats and doors are in poor condition. A plastic sheet has been used to replace its hood. .According to chief instructor Tarkaraj Joshi, the vehicle had been taken for repairs to the Singha Darbar garage, but was not repaired. The Germans who used to teach at the Thapathali Institute saw the car at the garage and, some time in 1977, asked the Institute to use in instruction. This is one of the cars that was carried into Kathmandu when there were no roads. Several people have tried to purchase the car, but the Institute does not have authority to sell it. Since it is registered in the name of Her Late Majesty Iswari Rajya Laxmi Devi Shah, it was also not possible to transfer ownership to the Institute, though it tried to have that done a few years ago. The Institute had also asked for Rs 500,000 to repair the car, but TU's Engineering
Education Department did not have the money.