Nepali Times Asian Paints
From The Nepali Press
Insurgency timeline

13 February: Maoists attack police posts in Rukum, Holeri and Sindhuligadhi.
29 February-19 March: Police operation in Rukum and Rolpa.
17 July: Parliamentary Committee on Foreign Affairs and Human Rights of House of Representatives appeal for the creation of a conducive environment for talks to stop violence.

3 January: Maoists attack Bethan police post in Ramechhap.
11 March: UML-Sadbhabana-RPP coalition government presided over by Lokendra Bahadur Chand constitutes a taskforce led by Prem Singh Dhami to find a solution to the Maoist problem. The taskforce labels it "terrorist activity in a political disguise".
7 October: A Nepali Congress-RPP-Sadbhavana coalition government formed under the leadership of Surya Bahadur Thapa.

8 January: Prime Minister Surya Bahadur Thapa recommends dissolution of House of Representative.
5 March: The UML splits.
12 April: Girija Prasad Koirala constitutes a Nepali Congress minority government.
26 May: The police launches counter-insurgency Operation Kilo Sierra II.
11 June: US ambassador Ralph Frank warns of withdrawal of international aid if Maoist attacks on development infrastructure continue.
8 September: Alternative politburo member Suresh Wagle and Commander Bhimsen Pokharel killed in police encounter.
27 November: Maoists declare new campaign to create 'base areas'.
15 December: Minister Chiranjibi Wagle's house in Chabel bombed.

2 January: Bhatte Danda police post in Lalitpur attacked.
15 January: Maoists kill Hari Bhakta Oli, ex-DDC chairman and president of Rukum Nepali Congress.
5 March: Maoists kill Yadi Gautam, UML secretary of Rukum and candidate for general elections.
31 May: Nepali Congress majority government formed under Krishna Prasad Bhattarai.
14 June: Maoists attack police post in Laha, Rukum.
30 December: Taskforce led by Sher Bahadur Deuba formed to study the Maoist problem and offer resolution.

7 June: Maoists attack Panchkatiya police post in Jajarkot.

4 February: Maoists attack Chief Justice Keshab Prasad Upadhaya in Surkhet.
1 April: Maoists attack Rukumkot police post.
6 April: Maoists attack Naumule police post, Dolakha.
11 April: Integrated Security and Development Program (ISDP) launched in Maoist affected districts.
1 June: Royal palace massacre.
7 July: Maoists attack police posts in Taruka of Nuwakot, Bichaur of Lamjung and Bami of Gulmi.
12 July: Holleri attack.
19 July: Prime Minister Girija Prasad Koirala resigns.
21 July: Sher Bahadur Deuba proposes peace talks.
22 July: The Maoists attack Pandusen police post in Bajura.
25 July: Government-Maoist ceasefire declared.
30 August: First round of talks held in Godavari.
13-14 September: Second round of talks held in Bardiya.
13 November: Third round of talks in Godavari.
21 November: Prachanda declares end of the ceasefire.
23 November: Maoists announce Central People's Government under Baburam Bhattarai. Simultaneous attacks on army in Dang, and district headquarters.
25 November: Attack on Salleri in Solukhumbu.
26 November: State of emergency declared, the Maoists labelled terrorists and the Royal Nepali Army is deployed.

21 February: Parliament endorses state of emergency.
23 April: Ransom on heads of Maoist leaders.
7 May: US President George W Bush backs government campaign against the Maoists and pledges support, Maoists attack army camp in Gam.
17 May: Parliament extends state of emergency.
22 May: Parliament dissolved on recommendation of Prime Minister, election date set for 3 November.
26 May 2002: Deuba expelled from Nepali Congress.
18 June: The Deuba faction expels party president Girija Prasad Koirala.
8 September: Maoists attack Sandhikharka in Arghakhachi, most government buildings destroyed.
3 October: Prime Minister Deuba recommends elections be postponed for a year.
4 October: King Gyanendra sacks Deuba and takes over executive powers.
11 October: Formation of a new cabinet under the premiership of Lokendra Bahadur Chand.
14 October: Maoists attack and destroy Jumla district headquarters.
26 January: Maoists assassinate Chief of Armed Police Krishna Mohan Shrestha, his wife Nudup Shrestha and bodyguard in Kathmandu.
28 January: Government decides to retract terrorist label, bounties and the red corner notice against the Maoists.
29 January: Government-Maoist ceasefire declared.
12 March: The Nepali Congress, the UML, People's Front and NMKP (Nepal Workers and Peasants Party) reach a consensus for a joint agitation against the October Fourth royal move.
28 March: Maoist negotiation team comes out in the open at a press conference.
8 April: Student leader killed in Butwal demonstration.
27 April: First round of government-Maoist peace talks at Shanker Hotel.
10 May: Second round of government-Maoist negotiations end with an agreement restricting army movement.

(11 JAN 2013 - 17 JAN 2013)